Thursday 22 September 2016

THE LITTLE HINGES THAT SWING BIG DOORS (A Case Study of HON. OLADIPUPO ADEBUTU) By Saint-Olawale Jimoh


I once read about Ceiline Dion and Les Brown many years ago. Their stories, apart from being inspiring, underscore the fact that every dream needs support. Celine Dion was born to a poor Canadian family in 1968. At 13 with no support from her family, a Canadian stranger Rene Angeli mortgaged his house to help Celine Dion realize her dream.
Another child was born but abandoned by a teenage mother. That child was picked up and later adopted and nursed by a small unknown 'hinge' called Mrs Miami Brown. The little child is today Les Brown, world renown motivational speaker.
I remembered these stories again last week when I visited a family I have known for years in a quiet small town near Sagamu. Ordinarily, I seldom visit the family except I have things to give them. I know their plight and how daily meals have become a recurring challenge to them. This time, I expected their condition to have gone worst under the 'Change' regime.
When I arrived in their compound last Tuesday, I couldn't believe my eyes seeing the good change that has taken place. Everyone looked well-fed and happy and they were all eager to offer me food.
While the merriment continued, I called the father of the house aside and asked about his two children whom during my last visit were mere errand kids to almost everyone in the neighbourhood. They weren't enrolled into any school at the time because of the family's financial crisis. The older was 7 years old while the younger was only 5. Their father told me same man who put smile on their faces put his kids in school and warned them not to tell anyone.
What excited the father most was that his boys are the ones topping their classes in terms of academic performances.
And who could their new messiah be? The old man was afraid to tell me but after much pestering, he mentioned Honourable 'Ladi Adebutu. I wasn't surprised. I have heard simiIar stories linked to him. In fact, based on my findings, the Adebutus have over the years demonstrated that giving back to their communities and the country at large is as important as being alive. Many educational institutions in the state can testify to the countless number of developmental projects that have been donated by the family and Hon Oladipupo Adebutu himself. Once upon at Igbosoro, there was a raging storm which removed the entire roof of a block of classroom. The incident claimed the life of a pupil whose parents were later contacted and compensated financially with the affected building re-roofed by Hon. Ladi Adebutu. At Imuti, near Ogijo, in same Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State, I learnt he single-handedly started and completed a primary school for the community.
In our everyday life we see the impact of little efforts that transform lives and eventually produce giants! I call these efforts 'hinges' that are swinging BIG doors. Every big door you see, swings on very small hinges. Compared to the doors they swing; hinges are negligible. Sometimes, what уσυ need to sow into people's lives are negligible but they make impact.
Kudos to this distinguished Remo ambassador, may God bless what уσυ have!

No comments:

Post a Comment