Thursday 22 September 2016

The Power I found In Writing By Saint-Olawale Jimoh


  Few days ago, I had reason to go through my old file and stumbled on the duplicate of the petition I wrote to the Permanent Secretary, Ogun State Bureau Of Employment Generation in 2007. Later in the night, as I nestled on my bed I pondered on the controversy generated by the petition and the recognition it earned me in the Bureau. As I type the piece I still doubt if my colleagues who were also affected by the 'mistakes' made by the staff of the agency ever had the faintest idea of  how far I went to seek justice on the matter.
  That year, I was among the first batch of the beneficiaries of the Ogun State Graduates Assistance Scheme (OGUGRADS) introduced by the prodigiously talented former Governor of Ogun State, His Excellency Otunba Gbenga Daniel.
  As the programme continued, my monthly allowance with that of my few colleagues were stopped while other beneficiaries got theirs  regularly. We collectively approached the agency to lodge our complaints severally but they told us different story each tιмe we visited and as was their usually practice, they demanded for more tιмe to investigate and correct the anomalies which has prevented us from getting paid for three months. Despite all our efforts and the cost of transporting ourselves from Ijebu-Ode to Abeokuta nothing positive happened. When it dragged into four months, I thought I needed to act.
    One beautiful Saturday morning of September, 2007. I drafted my petition and made it two copies. One addressed to the Governor and the other to the Permanent Secretary(PS) of the Bureau. After matured consideration, I withheld one and handed the other by hand to the Secretary to the PS there at OGEGEP building in Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta the following Monday. The woman passed my message to the PS and having perused the content, the then Permanent Secretary, Mr Niyi Olatiloye, a completely perfect gentleman was embittered. He summoned a meeting of all his staff at once. As I learnt, three members of staff were queried instantly and the remaining were given marching order to quickly investigate the cause and make correction immediately.
   My picture and details were posted on their information board as the entire Bureau launched investigation into my case. By Thursday morning same week, I received a call from the Bureau that the PS would be glad to have a meeting with me that morning! I was flabbergasted. The PS asking to have a meeting with me? I couldn't believe it. When I got the call the second tιмe I told the caller to tell PS that I won't be available that morning. I assured them I might come the following ∂αy if I'm disposed and have the transport fares. They agreed to foot the bills and I consented.
  When I arrived there on the morning of last Friday of the month of September, three of their staff were already at the gate. I asked if it was because of me they waited at the gate. They denied yet they all left the gate at once as they ushered me directly to the office of the PS. One of them told me the PS has been around and has arrived earlier because of me.
  We met the PS by his office door. He discharged others and ushered me into his spacious and neatly furnished office. As we conversed, he told me he has gotten to the root of the matter and wanted to assure me I'll get all my unpaid allowances in few days' tιмe. At this juncture, I disagreed. I told him I have another copy of the petition addressed to the Governor and I can go and deliver it at once. He didn't like the idea. He looked straight at me, sighed then rose up and made for the door. I was alone in his office for about 7 minutes before he joined me again. This tιмe, he requested that I accompanied him to the bank to make some verifications on same issue. I had no option, I followed him.  As we drove through Oke-Ilewo to link Lalubu street he started the conversation again. He told me there won't be any need for me to petition anyone again. He assured I'll get paid same ∂αy.
   We finally parked in front of FCMB Lalubu branch and walked in. I sat among other customers waiting to be attended to while he went straight to see the Branch Manager. Before I left the bank that ∂αy, I got four alerts for the four unpaid allowances!
  The PS was kind enough to wait and endure till I got all the alerts before he dropped me off at Kuto where I got a bus back home. But for the petition, I wouldn't have been able to get justice on the issue. The letter visited where I couldn't reach. A well written message is one way we can reach people who are beyond our reach and propel discussions to a greater level. James Lendall Basford said 'a man may speak with his tongue and only be heard around the corner; but another man may speak with his pen and be heard around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment